WELDING FOR BEGINNERS
What is a Welder
- I can best explain this by using music as an analogy. If one says they are a musician, that would then raise several questions; "what instrament or instrumentents do you play? How accomplished are you?" the musician could say " I taught myself to play and now play second trombone for the Salvation Army Band;" or he/she might say " I took formal lessons as a child, I later studied at Curtis, I am now first chair for the Boston Symphony."
- With welding you might ask? "what kind or type of welding do you do? How experienced / qualified are you?" The answer could be " I taught myself by tinkering with the stick welder on my Dad's chicken ranch; I now build Bar BQ grills, wrought iron gates and railings in my garage." or the person might say, " I learned to weld at a Vo-Tech HighShcool, I completed a two year trade apprenticeship program, I passed a series of welder operator qualifications in several different processes, I now perform X-ray quality work for one of the worlds leading defense contractors. ~GasWelder~
- These scenarios illustrate that there is no concrete deffinition of the learning experience, competency or skill level of the individual.
- Misleading welding titles!
- You have probably heard of an " aerospace welder, underwater welder, nuclear hull welder, pipe welder, master welder, " and so on; These are not trades!!! However, because of the mystique of the title, you may have designs on becoming one; only to find out later that, that,s all they are " mystical titles. " However, they may be considered or termed a " Welding Specialist "
When examining a career in welding, you might first visit:
Welding 4 Dummies
www WeldingTeacher com